Thursday, July 8, 2010

Coffee-Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes when you are feeling low, its amazing how a single passing thought or statement of something you like can cheer you up. A song, a place, a memory, a friend, a book, a conversation, a shopping spree, anything really!! It was one of those days on Tuesday when nothing was right, right from the time I woke up. All morning was spent in mundane chores and just after noon, with dark clouds hovering above in the sky and a gloomy weather to add to my crappy mood, I was about to resign to a dull boring day ahead when a phone call changed all that!! As my friend and I chatted over nothing and everything, the conversation drifted to the latest Archer book in stores and what we thought of the stories in the book!


And then outta the blue, she asked me, "So what will you bake today?" The very thought of the book in hand with warm cookies and coffee completely changed my mood and the next minute my mind was thinking what to bake. And voila, just as if the heavens above knew my changed mood, it started pouring!!



I made these quick cookies that I had bookmarked a few weeks back from Deeba's blog. The cookies didn't look as perfect as the ones she had posted, nevertheless, the taste was a big hit with all at home (I think the coffee worked its magic!), so much so that I am planning to bake a second round this weekend when my relatives are around.


COFFEE CHOCOLATE-CHIP COOKIES (As taken from PAB)
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
 

Ingredients:
100gms unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup vanilla sugar (or granulated)
1 egg
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Method:
Sift the flours, baking soda and salt. Keep aside in a bowl.
Place butter, sugar, egg, coffee powder and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl, and whisk with a hand blender until well mixed. {You can even do this by hand if you don't have a blender. In this cake, just beat the egg lightly with a fork first.}
Add the sifted flour mix and chocolate chips to the bowl, and mix well.
Drop tablespoons on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about an inch between each to allow for spreading.
Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes till golden brown.
Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a minute, and then transfer to rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight box in a cool place for 4-5 days.

Try it...I bet these warm soft and chewy cookies will cheer you up too !!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails